3 posts tagged hip hop
In answer to “How black are you?”
…but apparently not enough for others.
Here are some of the reasons that I’m not black enough:
- I don’t talk “black” enough for some people.
- I think that most hip hop music is trash (which propbably has more to do with my age than my authenticity, but there you are).
- I voted for Barack Obama, but would have preferred Dennis Kucinich.
- I’m a cop
- I’m a Lutheran
- I am comfortable in two languages besides English, and neither of them are African.
- I am aware of their slave-holding, yet I remain convinced that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were great men.
- I don’t gnaw chicken bones (this drove one of my aunt’s nuts when I was a kid)
- I can’t play basketball… not even a little.
Oh, there are more things, but that is just a thumbnail sketch. I really would like to see whoever it is who is in charge of authorizing people to be black enough. I think that the criteria needs a change or two. I wish I could see this person now, but I have to go and take my daughter to her Girl Scout meeting… which is just another reason for some.